Monday, October 12, 2009

DIY Day :: Tin Tile Mirror

ASPTL


It's Tuesday and for the second time, I am joining Kimba on her blog, a Soft Place to Land, for DIY Day. Here's my first DIY post from last week. Be sure to visit Kimba's blog and see the hundreds of DIY ideas!

I'm not sure if it is because Jason and I married in 2000 when the color to use was silver, but since then I have had an extreme fondness for the metal. I love to change things up, but rarely allow myself to spend money on home decor. On one of the home improvement shows last winter, I saw tin tiles used. I don't remember if it was for a ceiling or a back splash or what, but I wanted to use them in some fashion.

Those of you that know me, know I like to be unique, so I had to find some way to use tin tiles that no one else would think of. For quite sometime I had not been happy with the detailing of this mirror:



I started thinking, maybe I could surround the glass from this mirror, with tin tiles to make a unique to me mirror. So after lots of searching for the best deal, I purchased these tiles online:


While I was waiting for the tin tiles to arrive, I saw an idea for a memo board I wanted to create, but I didn't have a frame to use. Garage sales and thrift stores aren't abundant in the quickly growing area where we live, so I decided to take inventory of what frames I already owned. I took a trip to our basement and found this mirror:



I took it apart, cleaned up the frame and began a memo board project which I hope to share next week. Then when my dad visited a few weeks ago, he cut a piece of plywood for me to use to mount the tiles on. I used the stickies that came with the tiles to adhere it to the frame...


Now I am waiting for a sunny day and some help to adhere it to the plywood with liquid nails and hang it. What do you think?


I had four tiles left over and Jason talked me into using them to fill this void over the sink:


I'm not sure how long this will last, but its better than the blank wall I've been staring at for four years. And if you're wondering, I have/had a thing for bees. Our kitchen is decorated with them. Yeah, I'm classy like that...at least for the time being!

Trying like crazy to be creative,

6 comments:

Jill said...

That's going to be so pretty hanging on your wall! I also like the way you used the extras over your kitchen sink; it'll make doing dishes a lot more pleasant!

Unknown said...

That looks great! I have been thinking of a project using these also, can you tell me where you found the deal online?

Carolyn said...

Where are you going to hang your mirror? It's looks really good.

Brook said...

I have looked and looked for the name of the company that I ordered the tin tiles from and cannot find it. The company is a sister company of LTD Commodities in some way, but that's all I can tell you, sorry!

I haven't decided for sure where I am going to hang the mirror, but most likely at the end of the hallway. Do you still want to purchase the other mirror?

Brook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brook said...

For some reason the whole link didn't show, so I'll just give you the information on the tiles to google. The company I bought the tin tiles from is called Collections Etc. and the tiles come in two different colors. Enjoy!